Diversified Lighting Associates
Diversified Lighting Associates (DLA) is a commercial lighting distributor with over 70 employees. Prior to i2mcloud migration, they faced the following challenges:
- Branch offices and remote users suffered from weather-prone infrastructure and power outages
- Slow performance of local legacy infrastructure
- Connectivity issues with branch offices caused data syncing difficulties with headquarters applications
- Legacy client machines at branch offices were running mismatched MS Office licenses and versions
- Exchange email was hosted on a non-dedicated server, creating heavy data bottlenecks
- A legacy back-up system was prone to errors and required frequent maintenance, as well as expensive physical storage space and servers
- An on-site monitoring/alert system that often failed
Recognizing that AWS and i2mcloud would be an ideal fit for DLA, i2m implemented a plan to maximize the benefits of both, including the following changes to DLA’s IT infrastructure:
- Consolidated multiple servers, including a few legacy NetWare servers, at each site into a MS Active Directory infrastructure
- Redesigned and migrated on-site infrastructure to a cloud-based Windows Active Directory infrastructure with File/Print/Application and Remote Desktop Servers, which are shared by their branch offices and remote users
- Designed to allow for high availability and redundancy
- Created ISPEC VPN tunnels to each branch office, ensuring a secure connection between the offices and the AWS Virtual Private Cloud
- Migrated mission-critical database applications from their local Microsoft SQL server to the cloud, while leaving the on-site Microsoft SQL in place to sync with the cloud-based SQL server. This allowed headquarters staff to connect to the local Microsoft SQL server and branch offices and remote users to connect to the cloud-based SQL server educing load on each, and increasing performance.
- Created a new Exchange based e-mail system, giving branch offices and headquarters direct access to the email system, which reduced traffic and increased speed
- Connected branch offices and remote users directly to a cloud-based Remote Desktop Server using Remote Apps or full RDP desktop, allowing users to access their data and applications from anywhere, at any time
- Implemented i2mcloud Enterprise Backup, which is a server-less back-up solution that uses AWS S3 as a back-end and light clients on each server or other critical machines.
- Designed a reliable cloud-based monitoring and alert system
The following AWS technology was used:
The following i2mcloud technology was used:
- i2mcloud Zimbra Exchange Email
- i2mcloud Enterprise Backup
- i2mcloud Monitoring/Alerting System
i2m Solution Benefits
By migrating DLA to the cloud, i2m optimized their infrastructure, which allowed remote users, branch offices, and headquarters to connect seamlessly to the cloud environment anywhere, any time, and from any device. This connectivity increased DLA’s stability, availability, and redundancy, as well as increased performance gains for their critical business applications. Using Microsoft Office365 and i2m SaaS services made software compliance, deployment, and management simple and efficient. Migrating to a cloud-based infrastructure has had many benefits, including a 30% decrease in IT support calls and system problems, and quick recovery in case of failure. Full recovery time was reduced from 1-2 weeks to just a few hours.
DLA is now able to focus on their core business, rather than their IT systems and applications. These solutions did not require any up front capital cost and give DLA the scalability and flexibility to meet for their future technology needs. Migrating to the cloud also gave DLA the power to quickly adopt new technology and to test and develop new software applications and services to meet their needs.
As a result of the success of this migration, i2m is working with DLA on a project to move their headquarters infrastructure to a cloud-based environment, making DLA a solely cloud-based business.